American Short Fiction has published, and continues to seek, short fiction by some of the finest writers working in contemporary literature, whether they are established or new or lesser-known authors. In addition to its triannual print magazine, American Short Fiction publishes stories online. We also hold two yearly contests, the Halifax Ranch Prize for Fiction, and the American Short(er) Fiction Prize for stories fewer than 1,000 words. All our submission guidelines can be found here.
American Short Fiction's Halifax Ranch Prize for Fiction is now open for submissions. We are honored to have Manuel Gonzales as our guest judge. The deadline for the Halifax Ranch Fiction Prize has been extended to June 15, 2020.
- Submit your entry online between April 5, 2020 and June 15, 2020.
- The winner will receive a $2,500 prize and publication in an upcoming issue of American Short Fiction.
- Please submit your $20 entry fee and your work through Submittable. We no longer accept submissions by post. International submissions in English are eligible. The entry fee covers one 6,500 word fiction submission. All submitters will receive a complimentary copy of the prize issue.
- All entries must be single, self-contained works of fiction, between 2,000-6,500 words. Please DO NOT include any identifying information on the manuscript itself.
- You may submit multiple entries. We accept only previously unpublished work. We do allow simultaneous submissions, but we ask that you notify us promptly of publication elsewhere. Winners will be announced in September.
Conflicts of Interest
Staff and volunteers currently affiliated with American Short Fiction are ineligible for consideration or publication. Additionally, students, former students, and colleagues of the judge are not eligible to enter. We ask that previous winners wait three years after their winning entry is published before entering again.
American Short Fiction adheres to the CLMP Contest Code of Ethics. You can find the CLMP Code of Ethics and our Contest Procedures here, and do email any questions to email@example.com.